Choosing your wedding cake design can be tough. There are so many options, from the color and flavor to what the type of cake topper. How do you choose a cake that matches your venue, decorations, and your personality?
Over the years, we have been a part of some truly stunning weddings. We’ve also seen our fair share of cakes. Here are a few of our favorites, as well as some ideas and inspiration to help you create your own unique wedding cake.
- Model your cake off of your wedding jewelry: Are you wearing your grandmother’s pearl necklace? A special diamond bracelet? Use design elements from your jewelry to inspire the design of your cake.
- Incorporate flowers (real or sugar!): Your cake topper doesn’t have to be a bride and groom – ask your florist about a custom topper made with your wedding flowers. You can even stack your cake high and add layers of flowers in between.
- Use creative shapes: A layer cake isn’t limited to just squares or circles. Cake bakers can work miracles with fondant! Create interesting shapes and textures that reflect the design of your dress, the fold of a flower petal, or anything else you can image.
- Bring in natural elements: Having a rustic wedding? Make your cake look like wood grain! Winter wedding? Pinecones that look like they’re dusted with snow make wonderful decorations. You can also use items from nature such as twigs, moss, or leaves to decorate your cake table.
- Create a focal point that isn’t a cake at all!: Sometimes, your vision for your wedding cake is too difficult to create with icing or fondant. You could make a display cake that isn’t made out of cake at all! This bright stack of flowers has a foam center, while the edible cake is cut behind the scenes and served on plates to your guests.
If you do go with a wedding cake that has multiple layers, you may want to freeze the top layer to eat on your first anniversary. Don’t forget to bring an airtight plastic container and give it to the caterer or venue manager so the layer can be packaged.
If you’re looking to make a statement with your wedding, there are plenty of places you can look for inspiration. Browse the gallery below or check out our Pinterest board for more unique wedding cakes!